Friday, September 3, 2010

Time and Again

In our agenda-packed day, sometimes the easiest way is to simply turn to old-reliables; the oversized handbag stuffed with everything, your little black dress, the neighborhood grocery stocked with the basics and token exotics, ready-packed salad greens, or curry powder.

I had planned to make an old-reliable curry dinner tonight. I had fresh prawns in the fridge, coconut cream and curry powder in the pantry. Then I found a clipping from our local paper, The Straits Times, featuring a recipe on Prawn and Squid Moilee, a south-Indian dish that combined the flavors of ginger, turmeric, herbs and chili into a luscious curry. Notice the absence of curry powder on the ingredients list? I was intrigued.

I adapted the recipe, using a kilo of prawns instead of adding squid, but I would recommend both ingredients to transform the dish into a medley of flavors and textures. Listen out for the crackling of the curry leaves as you saute them in your hot pan. As the kitchen fills with the nutty, piquant aroma of the Moilee, I glance at my ever-faithful tin of curry powder and return it to the pantry. Until next time.





Prawn and Squid Moilee


2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, sliced thinly
2 green chillies, finely sliced
(I deseeded my chillies before slicing for less heat)
1 1/2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
2 sprigs curry leaves, remove from stalks
1 teaspoon chili powder
(I used Asian chili sauce this time)
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, optional
500g medium prawns, shelled and deveined
4 squids, cleaned and sliced into rings
550ml coconut cream
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt


In a wok or large pan, saute onions, chillies and ginger over medium-low heat. Stir well and cook for about 5 minutes until onion is soft and translucent.



Add curry leaves and saute for another 3 minutes. Then add chili powder, turmeric and fennel seeds. Mix well and saute for 3 more minutes.

Turn the heat to high and add the prawns. Once the prawns begin to curl, add the squid.




Stir fry for a quick minute, then pour in the coconut cream. As soon as the coconut cream begins to boil, turn the heat to low and allow it to simmer for another 4 minutes.



Season with salt, adding more if necessary. Pour in lime juice and stir well before serving.

10 comments:

  1. hmmm annie, I could smell what's cooking in your kitchen right now.. it smells Curry! haha! it's one of our all time favorite too. I would love to try your recepe since you added lime juice in the end? That's something I haven't tried doing. Great to meet you Annie.. I hope to know you more through your blog. btw, do you tweet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Malou, the lime juice really perks up the curry. It was delicious! BTW thanks for the kind words on your blog. Glad to have met you thru KCC. (p.s. not into tweeting...yet.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. annie, try to have an a twitter account. It's fun! btw, reading my post above with those typos makes me cringe... yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you substitute seafood w/ chicken or beef? Allergic to seafood, again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi patricia, i have substituted prawns with chicken when i make a curry for allergic guests. let me know how this turns out when you use beef instead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this recipe is very interesting. as far as I know Indian cuisine generally doesn't use lime or coco milk for their curry. it looks very yumyum in the pictures. i will try this one soon.

    oh! and curry powder is just a powdered mixture of turmeric and other spices. there is no curry leaves in there too. weird. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi ziggy! depending on which region of india the dish comes from, you'll find that coconut milk is indeed used. according to chef vikram vij, "coconut cream and coconut milk are standard in all types of south indian cooking". hope you try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've recently been on an Indian food kick, and this looks like it would really satisfy my craving...I'm going to have to go out and find curry leaves soon. Great dish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i hope you do find curry leaves, karen. it adds a delicious nuttiness to the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks wonderful - it's definitely going on my list for one night this week. Thanks for sharing it.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete